The Model Analysis and Guidance (MAG) website displays Graphical Interchange Format (GIF) images from the output of NCEP’s weather prediction models and observational data. The application runs in two environments:
- The Weather and Climate Operational Supercomputer System (WCOSS), which consumes gridded model data and produces images.
- A public facing Web Server farm where web navigation code provides an organized interface to the data and a set of bookmark able URLs that customers can use to directly access the latest images.
This user's guide documents the website portion of MAG. The MAG website is available at mag.ncep.noaa.gov. The website consists of four types of output:
- Model Guidance: NCEP’s weather prediction models;
- Observations and Analysis: observational data in the form of SKEW-T and station plots, and output from the Real Time Data Analysis model (RTMA);
- Hurricane model information when storms are active.
- Forecast Soundings: display of model soundings and station stability indices.